Wondering if your company is OKR ready?
How Should Goals Be Assessed And Revised During Times Of Uncertainty?
With everything going on in the world, it’s normal to feel as though your ambitions and aspirations must be placed on wait. However, just because things are uncertain does not mean you and your business should stop going forward. Here’s all you need to know about reviewing and revising goals during unpredictable times.
Like many business leaders, you’re most likely heading into 2023 with a sense of uncertainty. How will you define “success” after persevering through the challenges of 2022? There is no doubt that companies are facing difficult times due to layoffs, economic downturns, and uncertainties. However, the most difficult times need being proactive and taking a hard look at what you’re focusing on, and it’s critical to recognize the changes you need to make.
And one key action plan for this is to think about objectives, particularly assessing and resetting them. But first, consider why it is critical to take a step back and be prepared for uncertainty rather than being sorry!
How are objectives significant in times of uncertainty?
As history suggests, periods of recession typically last over 2 years. By the end of the year, during the greatest recession, the economy had entered one of the deepest slumps since WW II. As a result, more than 8 billion jobs were lost when housing values fell, and foreclosures increased. Therefore, being prepared during times of uncertainty has become more than necessary today. If not, your organization risks experiencing disruptions due to unanticipated challenges and uncertainty.
Uncertainty can be frustrating and daunting, but having clearly defined objectives to aim toward can help you remain on track and improve, giving you a sense of purpose and motivation. Goals can also help you maintain your optimism in the face of adversity. When things are unknown, it is natural to get caught up in negative thinking, but if you have goals to keep you going forward, it may be a terrific way to stay positive.
Your teams can easily become sidetracked and lose sight of what is important if we do not have goals. Goals help us understand what we’re doing and why we’re doing it. They assist us in staying focused on what is important in the future.
Only about one-third of employees understand their role in relation to business aims. Isn’t that concerning? This occurs because there is no cross-company communication, and it is not the sole derailer; other businesses fail to connect individual and organizational goals. When the entire firm understands what it is aiming for, it can optimize efforts in the same direction with the same goal of achieving the desired business objectives.
Because goals are communicated across functions, it’s an excellent method to bring people together and get them working toward a common goal. Shared personal or professional goals can aid in developing teamwork and collaboration. This can be a terrific approach to boost morale, become a better motivator, and get people working together for a common goal.
Goals that are made public can enhance transparency and, as a result, trust within teams. It clarifies the objectives and expectations of the team. It also boosts motivation and engagement by instilling a sense of ownership and responsibility. That’s why you need tools like Mesh to make this process go as smoothly as possible. Every goal developer can make their objectives private or public while generating them.
Adjusting goals during uncertainties
Goals are not set in stone; they are malleable and can be changed anytime. During times of uncertainty, evaluating and re-adjusting them may be necessary to ensure goals remain relevant and attainable. Here are some pointers on how to go about it:
1. Maintain a reasonable set of objectives. If the current situation makes achieving a certain objective impossible, try changing the aim or breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps.
2. Be adaptable in your timetable. If conditions have changed and it is difficult to achieve a deadline, consider extending it or reevaluating the goal.
3. Maintain open lines of communication with your employees. If you’re part of a group working toward a common objective, maintain the lines of communication open to ensure everyone is on the same page.
4. Be prepared to deviate from your original plan. It is critical to be adaptive and open to changing course during times of uncertainty.
5. Keep your eye on the prize. It is easy to become disheartened during this period, but it is critical to remember why you established the goal in the first place and to continue working towards it.
6. Take it one day at a time: Everyone gets overwhelmed and sidetracked from time to time, and that’s good. Concentrate on what you can do today, and don’t try to do everything simultaneously.
These guidelines will effectively assist you in adjusting your objectives during uncertain times and ensuring that you can still attain them. Remember to be adaptable, communicate with your team, and go slowly. Even in difficult circumstances, you can achieve your goals with some flexibility. For more guidance and insights on this, speak to our experts today!